Two Decades Of Florida Family Law Experience

Can you modify a child custody order in Florida?

On Behalf of | Oct 7, 2022 | Child Custody

It’s illegal to change your child custody arrangement without permission from the court that issued your child custody order. If you need to change the custody agreement, then you’ll need to file a modification action with the court in the county that issued the order. You could also file in the county where the other parent lives.

Grounds for modifying a child custody order

Parents who want to apply for modifications to their child custody orders may want to check that they qualify first. A parent must have had a significant change in their circumstances that affects their child. If the child’s circumstances have significantly changed, then you could request a modification as well.

Explain how it benefits your child

When you submit a request for modification, you must explain how the proposed changes would benefit your child. The court prioritizes what’s in the best interest of the child. Maintaining relationships and stability is a priority for kids, so there would need to be a good reason to relocate or change the timeshare schedule.

Examples of situations that warrant a change in child custody

When one parent has started abusing their child or has developed a drug problem, then you may request a change in your child custody order. The court could give sole custody to you and even limit the other parent’s visitation, depending on the severity of the situation. Neglect, a form of abuse, is a valid reason as well.

Other scenarios in which you could file a modification action are mental health issues with your child and problems in school that the other parent is causing. If one parent is no longer able to stick to the existing time schedule because of circumstances out of their control, then Florida also allows a request for modification.

When there’s a valid reason to change your child custody arrangement, the court is likely to grant your request. Florida strives to protect children and do what’s in their best interest.